our story

Christ the King began life as a congregation sixty years ago in a small real estate office in Eastgate, then a fast-growing new community on the Eastside. As we enter each new year of ministry as a congregation, we look forward to sharing the joy of living and growing together as Christ 's people with many others for years to come.  

A Brief History of Christ the King Congregation     

written in 2006 for the 50th Anniversary

In the bustling days of the early 1950's, Seattle's eastside community of Bellevue was rapidly growing and saw the expansion of many new neighborhoods such as Eastgate, Lake Hills, Robinswood, Sherwood Forest, Spiritridge and many other residential properties. Today's "Crossroads" community was only what the name implies - an intersection. Traveling to Eastern Washington was reached by a 4-lane undivided road below our present church site. We crossed it with a single traffic light. Today we view a major Interstate 90 interchange. With rapid population growth, several local Lutherans, together with Synod outreach personnel, saw the need for a new Eastside Missouri Synod presence. Frequent meetings in a local real estate office soon resulted in major developments, and within a few months, today's property was purchased, an architect and contractor hired and our current church complex completed followed by the dedication in 1956. Within five years, the congregation grew from an initial four families to 450 baptized members with 210 children attending Sunday School. Through the years Christ the King has been a visible member of the Eastside, and has consistently maintained a stable membership, served by only 6 ordained ministers. Our current Pastor, Jon C. Mau, accepted his call in April of 2006. He and his family have since become dearly loved and highly respected members of our church and the greater community. 

In the Spring of 2006, the congregation celebrated "50 years of God's Faithfulness" and gave thanks for His abiding love, abundant blessings and the promise of eternal life. We reminisced over our first 50 years of history which was highlighted by numerous faithful milestones such as:

  • Holding over 5,500 worship services
  • Donating over $4,000,000 to sustain God's work
  • Contributing over $400,000 to the Synod's mission programs
  • Baptizing well over 400 children and confirming 250 of our youth
  • Bringing over 200 adults into the Lord's kingdom
  • Sewing over 1,800 quilts for Lutheran World Relief
  • Serving over 21,000 meals to the homeless
  • Providing 2,000 pounds of food each year to the food banks
  • Providing meals and overnight housing to 15-25 homeless men each June
  • Hosting Boy Scout Troop 438 and guiding more than 90 boys to the "Eagle Scout" rank

We look forward to receiving His grace, love and forgiveness in the coming days. We also extend an open invitation to all who wish to experience the warmth of Christian fellowship and hear the "Good News" in a welcoming Bible-based worship service.

Details and photos about the original award-winning architecture Part ONE Part TWO

The christus rex

The original members of our congregation chose the name The Lutheran Church of Christ the King in 1955.  The well-known Northwest liturgical artist Ernst Schwidder was engaged to render a sculpture that would depict the rich layers of reference and symbolism in the title, enhance the architectural design of the building and inspire spiritual contemplation among worshippers. The mahogany figure which rises above and to the side of a large wall-hung passion cross in the chancel represents the wounds Christ suffered for our salvation, His priestly role on our behalf, and His triumphal resurrection as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  Today, the sculpture continues to inspire us and also serves as the visual mark of our congregation.  

A crucifix depicting the triumphant risen Savior instead of the dying Christ is known as a Christus Rex, Latin for the title Christ the King.

More information about the artist and this work   

Other artworks, Christ the King